Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Submit a Complaint​ Online

The Division for Air Quality responds to air pollution complaints about open burning, strong outdoor odors, and dust emissions. The DEP Complaint Form​ allows you to submit your environmental complaint anonymously to the Department for Environmental Protection. You do not have to give your name or contact information, but you may want to provide that information if you want to follow-up about the complaint. This form is only for complaints, and not for notifications of releases or environmental emergencies. ​To report an environmental emergency, call 800-928-2380.​

​What information is needed to act on my complaint?

  • Address or location of the alleged source including street or intersection, city, and county
  • A description of the problem
  • The time when you first observed the problem
  • The frequency and duration of the problem
  • Any other information you may have that might help the inspector in his/her investigation

What happens next?

  • Your complaint is logged into the complaints database and assigned to a field inspector.
  • The inspector visits the area of the suspected source to investigate the complaint.
  • If the inspector determines that air quality regulations have been violated, the inspector documents the violation.
  • If a violation occurred, the inspector works with the responsible party to correct the problem.
  • Many problems not rising to the level of a violation are nevertheless corrected through cooperative efforts between the inspector and responsible party.

Can I make an anonymous complaint?

Yes. If you do not want to provide a name, phone number or address, you can request to remain anonymous. Only pertinent information about the complaint will be recorded. If you wish to obtain information about the status of a complaint investigation, division staff will provide you with an incident number, or you may use the online submittal confirmation number. You may then contact the division, provide the incident number, and learn about the status or outcome of the complaint investigation.

If you do not wish to remain anonymous, your contact information will be recorded in the database. This information allows the division to contact you quickly for additional information about the complaint as needed, or for notification of the outcome of the complaint investigation.

After-Hours Complaints

Inspectors do not have to witness the pollution in order to begin an investigation. If your complaint is in the evening or on a weekend or holiday, submit the online DEP Complaint Form, providing as much information as possible about the issue. If you wish for someone to get back to you, leave your name and contact information. 

On the next working day, the complaint will be logged and assigned to an inspector for investigation.  For some types of complaints, inspectors may visit the site after hours to pinpoint the source of the pollution.

Air pollution complaints should be made as soon as possible after observing smoke, fugitive emissions, or strong odors. If you observe the pollution on multiple days, please let us know. This helps us monitor the severity of the problem.

How do I check the status of my complaint?

Contact Diana Davidson at 502-782-6592 or contact your DEP regional office. ​

​​​​Freon Complaints

If you know someone is abusing Freon restrictions and want to file a complaint, you may do so on EPA's complaint page.

Freon is commonly used as an aerosol propellant and refrigerant. It is in a class of compounds known as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which are known to cause depletion of Earth's protective ozone layer. For this reason, Freon and other CFCs are regulated through Title VI of the Clean Air Act.

The U.S. EPA’s Stratospheric Protection Division is responsible for regulating Freon and other ozone depleting substances, managing certification of training programs and issuing licenses to those who work with Freon products.

Technicians installing or performing repairs on any HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) equipment must be state licensed by the Division of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC). Call 502-573-0395 for more information or visit the division's online step-by-step guide on applying for an HVAC permit.

Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet
300 Sower Blvd
Frankfort, KY 40601

Phone Directory
Contact Us
Civil Rights/Derecho Civiles

The Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability or sex. This policy protects the rights of Cabinet employees, service applicants and customers. Vendors, agencies and organizations providing services to the Cabinet or its recipients of federally-aided programs also must comply with this policy.