The Certification and Licensing Branch is home to the solid waste, drinking water and wastewater certification programs. Through education and certification exams, these three programs help ensure that the people charged with dealing with community solid waste, drinking water and wastewater are knowledgeable and capable of handling the responsibilities required of those positions.
Testing, Renewal and Training Event Information
For the time being we are continuing to register people for exam events. Please note that our ability to hold exams will be contingent upon COVID-19 conditions.
Our testing events will continue to be small with a limited number of operators. Testing slots are on a first-come, first-served basis. The training and exam calendar can be found here.
Registering for Exams
In-person training has been scheduled for the remainder of the year. Seats for these classes are limited. When you register, register for the class and exam.
Exam only dates are available on the schedule as well. When you register, register for the exam only.
We also provide training course material online for all approved testers at no additional charge. A link to the training materials will be provided to you in your notification email.
Math study guides are now available on our test preparation page.
What does the Certification and Licensing Branch do to ensure that operators are properly trained?
The Kentucky Operator Certification Program provides training and issues certifications to ensure that individuals engaged in performing many of Kentucky's critical environmental activities are qualified and capable to perform their duties. Program activities include:
- Issuing certification licenses to Kentucky's bottled water, collection, distribution, treatment and solid waste operators.
- Presenting classes for bottled water, collection, distribution, treatment, landfarm, landfill and composting operators.
- Assisting the Kentucky Board of Certification of Water Treatment and Distribution System Operators and the Kentucky Board of Certification of Wastewater System Operators.
- Developing and implementing an operator recruitment strategy that encourages individuals to consider a career in wastewater, drinking water and solid waste facilities.
- Attending career fairs and speaking to groups about water treatment and solid waste careers.
- Providing relevant information to certified operators and interested parties through e-mail newsletters and the program blog. You can be added to the program's distribution list by calling the Certification and Licensing Branch at (502) 782-6189, or by emailing email@example.com.
Operator Certification is responsible for the testing and training records of certified operators. The Certification Program does not administer facility requirements. If you have a question on what classification of operator your drinking water, wastewater or solid waste facility is required to have or any other staffing requirements, contact the Kentucky Division of Water at (502) 564-3410 or the Kentucky Division of Waste Management at (502) 564-6716.