New Email to Report Orphan Wells
OrphanWells@ky.gov is now established by the Energy and Environment Cabinet as a public reporting tool for landowners and concerned citizens to report orphan wells in their area that need inspector follow-up. In many cases, reported wells may not be orphans, but site inspections by the Kentucky Division of Oil and Gas can determine the status of those reported wells.
Notices to Industry
- The PowerPoint presented at the Federal Infrastructure Contractors Informational Virtual Meeting on June 1, 2022 is available here. The Q&A from the meeting is available here.
- The Division of Oil and Gas has received numerous inquiries pertaining to the Federal Infrastructure Act Orphan Well Plugging Initiative. Please see the document FEDERAL INFRASTRUCTURE ACT ORPHAN WELL PLUGGING INITIATIVE for information about registering in the Vendor Self Service (VSS) system and Bonding/Insurance requirements.
- Any checks submitted to the Division of Oil & Gas must be made payable to the KENTUCKY STATE TREASURER. Under new guidelines issued by the Finance Cabinet, any checks made out incorrectly must be returned. This will result in a delay of processing permit applications, well transfers or funding of cash bonds.
- Procedures for releasing bonds have been updated September 10, 2021 on the Bonds and Transfers page.
- Fillable forms are available as of September 10, 2021 in our Forms Library under the Resources tab.
- The Division of Oil and Gas has updated its forms. As of January 1, 2021, the new forms will be required for submittal and any previous versions of the forms will no longer be accepted. The new forms are available in our Forms Library.
- The annual renewal of GATHERING LINE OPERATORS LICENSES is due on or before February 15, 2022. The annual fee for the Gathering Line Operator's License is $100 for commercial use, $25 for domestic use, and $100 if you have both commercial and domestic use wells. Please make checks payable to The Kentucky State Treasurer. Include your operator number on the memo line.