Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Securing the Kentucky River from Confederates proved difficult for the Union Army. There were only two bridges across the river in Central Kentucky yet there were at least 50 fords or ferries that allowed soldiers to cross easily. In 1863 there were a number of raids by Confederate Calvary that frustrated the Union Army as the rebels created havoc by concealing their locations, crossing and re-crossing the Kentucky River, attacking isolated garrisons, and capturing and destroying Federal supplies. The Union Army became increasingly frustrated and each time the Confederate Army came into the state, panic ran rampant. Captain Thomas B. Brooks, an engineer for the Central Kentucky region, had a solution and it was the same idea for protecting the L&N and Central Kentucky railroads. This idea was to create fortifications at the most important river crossings and three earthen work fortifications were created at Boonesboro, Clays Ferry, and Tate's Creek. The fortification at Boonesboro overlooked a ford in the bend (hence giving the town its name) and a ferry crossing at Boonesboro. African American Union soldiers built a square or rectangular fort that could be used to defend Kentucky River from the south or from attacks from the north. What remains today are the eastern and western walls and trenches. The original road has been turned into trail that terminates at the top of the hill with a view overlooking  the Kentucky River. The park consists of young calcareous forests dominated by sugar maple and the open field at the top dominated by tall fescue and kept mown for visitors to see the earth works. The wooded section of the park is completely taken over by exotic, invasive plants that need to be removed to allow for more natural regeneration of the forest.


Open dawn to dusk for hiking on a moderate to steep 1/2 mile trail with interpretative signs. From 1-64 take exit 94 and follow the bypass for 2.8 miles to KY Highway 627, Boonesboro Road.  Follow 627 for 6.3 miles and turn right onto KY Highway 1924 and go 1. 4 miles until you see the sign on the left side of the road and a mural painted on a concrete barrier. From 1-75 take exit 95 and go 6.1 miles to KY highway 1924 and turn right and go 1.4 miles until you see the sign on your left.The trailhead begins at the parking lot.


Access Type: Open to Public
County: Clark
Region: Bluegrass Region
Size: 25.38
Owner: Clark County Fiscal Court

​Clark County Fiscal Court under a KHLCF easement

Purchased with Assistance of:
Lat: 37.890511
Long: -84.260812
Image of Terrapin Creek

Frequently Asked Questions

Visit FAQs Page

Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet
300 Sower Blvd
Frankfort, KY 40601

Phone Directory
Contact Us
Civil Rights/Derecho Civiles

The Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability or sex. This policy protects the rights of Cabinet employees, service applicants and customers. Vendors, agencies and organizations providing services to the Cabinet or its recipients of federally-aided programs also must comply with this policy.