Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

​​​When is Accreditation Required?

​Individuals who perform regulated asbestos activities are required to be licensed by the Division for Air Quality in the following disciplines:

  • Asbestos inspector
  • Asbestos management planner
  • Asbestos project designer
  • Asbestos abatement supervisor
  • Asbestos abatement worker

You must have your license on hand when you perform asbestos-related work. Kentucky does not require a license to perform air monitoring.

How to Become Accredited

  • Submit DEP-6038 Application for Asbestos Accreditation to the Division for Air Quality.
  • Submit a copy of your most recent proof of training to the Division. Training must be from an EPA-approved provider from Kentucky or any other state.
  • If this is your first license or your license has been expired for over one year, submit check or money order for initial license fee.
  • If you are renewing your license and it has not been expired for more than one year, submit check or money order for the renewal fee.
  • Mail these documents to:
    • Division for Air Quality
    • Field Support Section
    • 300 Sower Blvd.
    • Frankfort KY 40601

Can I Apply Online?

Yes! Online asbestos form submittals can be made at the eForms website. Please note that the website works best in Chrome or Firefox.

The first time you submit an eForm, you will need to create a Kentucky Online Gateway account. Account registration can be found on the Kentucky Online Gateway registration page. If you have trouble accessing or creating your account, click on the Help Center menu on the eForm page.

When Does My License Expire?

In Kentucky, your license expires when your proof of training expires. Check your training certificate for the expiration date. You cannot perform asbestos work if your license has expired.

How to Check the Status of a License

Go to the eSearch License page.  You can check on the status of a license by searching by name of the license holder. If it does not appear initially, try searching the last name only. Please note: You will not be able to renew your license from this website, only check on its current status. Reference the “Can I Apply Online?” for how to renew licenses online. 

Lost Licenses

  • To replace a lost license, submit DEP-6038 Application for Asbestos Accreditation to the Division and include check or money order for $10 duplicate fee.
  • A copy of your training certificate is not required for duplicate license, but be sure to check the "duplicate" box on the form.

Asbestos Regulations

Asbestos activities are regulated under three federal programs:

  • NESHAP (National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants) requires a thorough survey prior to any demolition or renovation of a facility by an accredited inspector. 
  • ASHARA (Asbestos School Hazard Abatement Reauthorization Act) requires accreditation for individuals involved in the removal, repair, encapsulation, or enclosure of friable asbestos-containing building materials from facilities in amounts of at least 3 square, 3 linear, or 0.5 cubic feet.
  • AHERA (Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act) requires an inspection and asbestos management plan for K-12 public and private schools.
Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet
300 Sower Blvd
Frankfort, KY 40601

Phone Directory
Contact Us
Civil Rights/Derecho Civiles

The Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability or sex. This policy protects the rights of Cabinet employees, service applicants and customers. Vendors, agencies and organizations providing services to the Cabinet or its recipients of federally-aided programs also must comply with this policy.