Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

What is a Kentucky Nature License Plate?

Help keep Kentucky a natural state! Buy a nature license plate when you register your car, light truck or SUV on your birthday. Money from the sale of the plate goes into the Kentucky Heritage Land Conservation Fund for purchasing natural areas to be left as wild places held in trust for future generations. Since the program began in 1995, Kentuckians have contributed more than $10 million.

What are the current designs? Denny Crum and Kyle Macy license plates

A bobcat, cardinal, or viceroy butterfly.

How much does it cost?

Annual cost is $10 above the regular registration fee.

Where does the money go?

Of the $25 total cost of registering a motor vehicle, $12 goes to the Transportation Cabinet for the production of the plate, $3 goes to your county clerk for the processing fee and $10 goes to the Heritage Land Conservation Fund. It is used to purchase land from willing sellers for nature preserves, state parks and forests, wildlife management areas, recreation and environmental education areas, wild river corridors and wetlands. 

How do I get a nature plate?

If you are registering a new or out-of-state vehicle for the first time, request a nature license plate from your county clerk or motor vehicle dealer. If you lease, offer your leasing company a check for the extra charge to get the Kentucky nature license plate. If you are converting from a regular plate, turn in your plate to your county clerk, and you will be given credit for the months remaining on your decal.

How can I get more information?

Visit the ​Kentucky Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing website or see your county clerk.

Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet
300 Sower Blvd
Frankfort, KY 40601

Phone Directory
Contact Us
Civil Rights/Derecho Civiles

The Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability or sex. This policy protects the rights of Cabinet employees, service applicants and customers. Vendors, agencies and organizations providing services to the Cabinet or its recipients of federally-aided programs also must comply with this policy.