Citizen's Concerns or Complaints
You may contact the Division of Water (DOW) at 502-564-3410 and inform the operator that you wish to report a concern or complaint. Please be prepared to explain the nature of the problem and give the location of the problem, including directions to the site. You do not have to give your name; however, if you wish DOW to either contact you during the investigation or provide you with the results of the investigation, you must leave your name and contact information.
For environmental emergencies such as spills of gas, oil or other substances, contact the Environmental Response Team at 502-564-2380 or 1-800-928-2380.
What information does the division need to act on my complaint?
- Address or location of the alleged source including street or intersection, city, and county
- A description of the problem
- The time when you first observed the problem
- The frequency and duration of the problem
- Any other information you may have that might help the inspector in his/her investigation
What happens when the division receives a complaint?
- Your complaint is logged into the complaints database and assigned to a field inspector.
- The inspector visits the area of the suspected source to investigate the complaint.
- If the inspector determines that water quality regulations have been violated, the inspector documents the violation.
- If a violation occurred, the inspector works with the responsible party to correct the problem. Many problems not rising to the level of a violation are nevertheless corrected through cooperative efforts between the inspector and responsible party.